We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: You Gotta Be Cool
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Friday, May 19, 2006

You Gotta Be Cool

Just like how Boo from masak-masak complained bout the weather, I am here to do so too. Luckily recently the weather is cooling down, but few days before it was like living in the middle of volcano. The sun was so scorching hot I sometimes believe my hair would sizzle if I stay any longer outside. The air was like the oven heat after a lovely muffin bake. The only think one can think of every time we are out, even in the car, is something really cool, better yet icy to drink. At times I would go for ais kacang, but for this time, we are attracted to another local icy drink, cendol.

Oh yes, cendol is actually a type of dessert, I believe from Indian origin, very popular and authentic to Malaysia culture. It usually consists shaved iced, with green cendol (this is the thin worm like pandan flavoured flour noodles) drown in coconut milk and drizzled with gula melaka (this pair seem to be in every local dessert). The usual fillings would be red beans, cincau, jellies, kacang and sometimes glutinous rice. Cendol is really unique in taste, the gula melaka (the most important ingredient here in my opinion) and coconut milk blends real well, along with the smooth worm-cendol and the rest of the fillings is great. The shaved ice completes this drink to be the ultimate thirst quencher and body cooler.

As for the one I’m talking about is the one at Taman Megah. We were just driving home on Sunday midday, cooking in our Proton oven (our national car) and we just had to stop by this stall to cool down before out insides boil over. The cendol here is really good, but I have yet to try the pasembor or rojak. Compared to the one in Taman Bahagia, this is more superior, but according to J, the rojak in the former is better. Oh well, you cannot get the best of everything at one go.

After our cendol fix, we head home with smiling faces, and paid no heed to the crazy weather.


12 comments:

jadepearl said...

Wah...cendol!!! Sedap!!! The cendol in Msia is very different from the cendol at our little island. Just love the cendol in Melaka!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh man, how I miss cendol! Love the Indian rojak too.

Anonymous said...

yes i agree! chendol in msia has more kick than in sg. don't know why either! yumyum

Leishia said...

the shaved ice and gula melaka got me salivating all the way!!! heh

there's one rojak behind this kelana lrt, tis good too! i think...

anyho, my best loved m'sian dessert has to be SAGO GULA MELAKA! kenot dibanding! hah!

rokh said...

jadepearl, yup sedap!

ching, i love the rojak too

anonymous, i guess authentic cendol is here then

leisha, the one i have is behind kelana! LOL. i'll try the rojak some other time

rokh said...

leisha, try my sago gula melaka then!

Unknown said...

Rojak & cendol r die for. Last time, I always get them from Pudu market. They taste superbly good.

I did try making my own rojak here. Gosh!!! so time consuming lah. But end result was not bad. Planning to make my own cendol this summer.

boo_licious said...

Grrrr, that bowl looks so good. At least he was generous with the cendol as I had to fish for mine in Subang Jaya.

SooHK said...

The cendol looks good...long time never eat this...

rokh said...

puspha, if you have the recipe do share!

boo, if you got chance come and have a fix at this stall

soohk, cendol IS good, hopefully i get to eat it all the time

jadepearl said...

What about the pasembor or rojak? If you try, please take a pix too, ok? Does it come with yellow noodles just like the Melaka ones? Wah, bui tahan.

rokh said...

jadepearl, sau tou. its gonna be my excuse to go makan!

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *