We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Ultimate Chocolate Fix
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Ultimate Chocolate Fix

Before this, during the summer at the other side of the world, the food blogging communities had gone into the frenzy of making icy desserts which got me totally hype up and weak to my knees. After all, living in this part of the world where it is practically summer everyday, it seems so right to have my icy treats all the time. I love the local favourite is of course such as ais kacang, sai mai lou and cendol, but sometimes, some dessert are just universal, yes, that is ice cream. I believe it is one dessert that no one can say no to, besides chocolate of course.

Well, after getting bombarded with all the ice creams, gelatos, sorbets and frozen yoghurts, I nearly succumb to getting an ice cream maker. I told myself, if I found one that I can afford, I would definitely buy it. Then one day, while out with J, at a fair, I saw a tiny one on promotion and nearly bought it but in the end got against it because it cannot fit into my mini refrigerator. I was nearly devastated. Then on that week itself, J’s mum wanted to exchange some gifts from the points she collected from the credit card, and voila, J chose that ice cream maker itself for me! I was totally ecstatic.


So it came, and I excitedly tried out a few recipes. My first banana ice cream, with my own adaptations of recipes came out too hard. I wouldn’t really call it ice cream though as I made it without cream, if you’re a long time reader, I mentioned before why I usually go for alternatives. Then the next one I tried was mango ice cream (I don’t really know what type so universally I will call it ice cream even without cream), using gelatin which has better texture. Then I tried one mango frozen yoghurt, which was also not so perfect yet.

Then I came across recipes for gelatos and I got hook instantly. No cream but still rich in its way. As gelatos are uncommon here, in fact I believe I never had one before, so I must try it! I was inspired by a recipe from The Traveler’s Lunchbox, where she explained what gelato is all about and then try out three different recipes for us to gape at. I chose the recipe that she and her husband decided was best.

Now the verdict from me? It was totally utterly (pardon the pun but it was necessary) delicious! Now I would understand what the craze about gelato is all about. The texture was just right with enough richness and feel, and the taste was incredible, the ultimate chocolate fix for any sudden crave. J mention it was a little bitter, but it was because of me as I had reduced the sugar level and used really dark chocolate due to my affinity for, of course chocolate, which I overlook as a personal preference. Nevertheless, J likes it too, and I promise to come up a vanilla (his favourite flavor) gelato soon. After this gelato, I believe I would never eat another chocolate ice cream again the same way.


Chocolate Gelato
Source: The Traveler’s Lunchbox

Although I had reduced the sugar content for my own version of chocolate heaven, I believe sticking to the original quantity below would be fine and safest for all to love. Anyhow, I believe it would be good. Oh ya, since my freezer was a quite strong, I would take the chocolate out and leave it for about 5 minutes (really impatiently) and then start digging in. Now I have to make another batch.

2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup evaporated milk
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
1 cup Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
4 large egg yolkspinch salt

Coarsely chop chocolate.
In a saucepan, bring milk, evaporated milk and half the sugar to a simmer, stirrin till the sugar dissolved.
Remove pan from heat and add the cocoa powder and chocolate, whisking till all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
Get ready a large bowl of ice and cold water.
In a bowl, beat the yolks and remaining sugar and salt with electric mixer till thick and pale.
Add hot chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into saucepan.
Then cook the custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 160°F (for me, I follow Melissa’s advice and go by instinct, watching not to let it boil)
Pour custard through a sieve into a metal bowl set in ice and cold water and cool.
Chill custard, covered until cold and preferably overnight.
Then freeze custard in an ice-cream maker.
Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden for several hours.

Yield: about 1 quart.

12 comments:

Cherry Popcorn said...

oooh.. yummy..

Unknown said...

now u make me feeling buyin one 2..wonder if i have the patience 4 the many attempts

rokh said...

princess shin, it sure is!

Kampungboycitygal, your patience will be well rewarded, trust me. try out good recipes and do not adapt too much (like me) when not sure and it'll be alright. ;) try this one if you ever have an ice cream maker. :D

Silent Reader said...

Hello, Can you tell me how much it cost and where can I get one? Is it motorized or a manual operated one?

rokh said...

silent reader, the one i saw on promotion was price at Rm160, but the regular price outside are around rm200

Sammy said...

Oh man, tt ice cream looks really good. And DIY too! I wonder how much a cheap one will cost?

Anonymous said...

Wah! can make ice-cream everyday, is that difficult to clean the machine?

rokh said...

yummie dummies, I think my ice cream maker priced at rm160 is one of the cheapest around

ho jiak, very easy to clean, just like washing a bowl (heavier one). the only drawback to it is you have to freeze the maker preferably a day before making the ice cream

Stickman said...

hey there..is that kenwood ice cream maker..i saw it at midvalley about rm300..for 1 liter capacity. Can you tell me how to use it and advantages..yes the gelato is great ..you can eat gelatossimo(italy company) at midvalley the garden..i'm now target to buy that because of i bought italian ice cream book(carla bardi).got gelato ,sorbetto,granita and semifreddi..

rokh said...

yes it is the kenwood ice cream maker. using it is simple, just put in and turn on to churn your mixture for rouhgly 30-45minutes until the desired consistency. sorry though i could not tell on its advantages as i have yet to try any other ice cream maker before to do comparison but so far i am happy with it. have lots of fun making all those icy treats you mention ;)

wannie said...

hey babes, im thinking of getting one too lol. sick of lousy ice cream which are more affordable and hate paying gold for good ice cream, with limited flavours. the kenwood machine bagus? I want to avoid using much cream too. would love some recipe recommendations from you :)

rokh said...

wannie come get from me haha!

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *