We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: CCC Craze
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

CCC Craze

It is always good to be able to dig up my old archive to share with you guys. During the time I started this lovely blog of mine, I was in my term holidays. That was went I did lots of baking and cooking, and sharing it here. Now that time does not allow me to do so, I have continued religiously drooled over many food blogs out there.

So, about digging into my archives, I usually cook, take picture and then store it in a folder in my computer along with the recipe. So far, I just notice this folder getting much larger than other picture folders I have.

There was this local food forum that I joined, named Jo’s Deli Bakery. Then there was once we made a meet up along with fellow Malaysians from the forum Kitchen Capers, that I always talked about. At the party, obviously a food party, everyone is to make something to bring there. Like how we local like to call it potluck. Then a lovely forum member made a wonderful chocolate cheese cake, which got everyone hooked and craving for one. So naturally, we demanded for the recipe and then forth started the phase, we called it, the CCC craze.

If you keep drooling over various chocolate cheesecakes from the same recipe, and keep on hearing people rave about it day in day out in the forum, there is only one natural course of action. Yes, you make one too, not just to answer the craving since the gathering day but also to see what is all the fuss about.

And I have to say, it is all worth the fuss! It is fairly easy to do, and simply delicious. It is hard for me to describe how good, you go try it and you tell me! This might even start a CCC craze in the blogosphere, who knows, as it is really tempting and the result is going to be an expanded waistline with a wide smile.

Alright let us now see what the fuss is all about but be forewarned, it might start you into a phase.


Chocolate Cheese Cake

Making the mixtures was really easy, but layering them was the problem. When I poured in the final chocolate mixture onto the cheese layer, I made mistake by pouring too much in the middle, then end up scrapping it all to the side, which in the end causing the side rim to have too much. Nevertheless, the effect was not bad; I got wave-like layers, which some people thought I did it on purpose.

I also found that I had to take longer baking time than suggested, then later I found out its because I used an 8-inch pan instead of 9. But I will still stick to 8-inch, because the height of the cake is just nice with the layers clearly shown, and of course, it means bigger portion in every slice. You won’t regret it.

Mixture A:
250g cream cheese
60g castor sugar
1 egg

Beat cream cheese with sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in egg until well incorporated
Set mixture aside

Mixture B:
180g butter
150g sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp cocoa
120g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt


Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
Beat in egg, one at a time until well incorporated into mixture
Sieve all the dried ingredients together
Fold it into the egg mixture

To assemble:
With an 8-inch cake pan, pour in half of mixture ‘B’, then all of mixture ‘A’, then remaining mixture ‘B’
Bake in preheat oven at 180C for 55-60 minutes (45-50 minutes for 9-inch pan) or until skewer comes out clean
Serve well chilled


12 comments:

Tazz said...

Wow Rachel, Your centre cheese layer looks so nice. Haha... mine took 2 hours to bake! -_-"

Unknown said...

Rachel your cake looks good, I like the wavy lines. Looks like I must find a chance to do this much-raved-about CCC ;p

rokh said...

tazz, thanks! 2 hours? that is crazy!

angie, if you like it, then do my "mistake" then LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, finally found your blog. Been asking a couple of members at NK about your chocolate cheesecake recipe and found it at last! Looks really good and will be trying this out soon. Thanks :)

rokh said...

hi mellie, glad you found me. try out and let me know ya? i'm sure it would be great

Anonymous said...

sure, will definitely do that once I´ve bought myself a scale :P Will let you know.

boo_licious said...

Yum! Looks good - if I use a 7 inch springform pan, what are the portions like?

rokh said...

mellie, will be waiting for your result!

boo, well, my 8-inch did not exactly come to full brim, i guess 7-inch you'll get a very tall cake, provided your pan is tall enought to hold it. i'm not sure of the portion though

Anonymous said...

That looks like a cake...with something cheesecakey in the middle...

For perfect cheesecake...

http://threelayercake.com/content/view/235/48/

Anonymous said...

Hi 1st time reading ur blog. Tks for sharing recipes. Just tried baking ur choc cheese cake Iin d oven now). I took more than half an hr to beat mixture A. Is it normal? Somehow its still not that light n fluffy. I used a 9in sq tin but find i couldn't cover the whole surface neither can an 8in one...had to spread mixture A n B. Do u hv this prob? Apprec ur adv. Tks. lyn

Anonymous said...

Hi, finished baking. 8in sq tin (50mins) is fine but somehow cheese portion seems abit moist (not cake-like). Is it due to not beating it till light n fluffy? The choc cake portion turned out very well. Tks. lyn

rokh said...

hi lyn, glad your bake turned out well. the cheese portion part is meant to be moist like the usual cheesecake style, more fudge-like. hope you enjoyed it.

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *