We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Smokey Goodness with Rendang
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Smokey Goodness with Rendang

I was cruising down the road right after my afternoon class. The weather was fine and I am feeling fresh, something that is amazing since I had endured few hours of lecture. Taking the usual route on my way back, all of sudden I was greeted by makeshift stall along the road, nearby of TTDI, with smokes billowing to the air. Guess what? No, not open burning. If you’re a Malaysian, you might, just might have guess it. Yes, it is lemang!

Lemang is actually glutinous rice with coconut milk wrapped in banana leaves then packed into a tube of bamboo and then smoked slowly over fire. Phew, such hard work. This delicacy may be available throughout the year but it is usually full blown with temporary makeshifts stalls everywhere during festivals celebrated by the Malay communities in Malaysia. The usual celebrations are the Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Hari Raya Haji. This Malay delicacy had been highlighted before by Boo from masak-masak. Boo featured lemang from last year’s Hari Raya Aidilfitri, from the same place I had acquired mine. As for Robyn, from EatingAsia, she and Dave had stumbled upon it along the Karak Highway.

This week on Tuesday, it was the Hari Raya Haji celebration. It is known as the Pilgrimage Day of Celebration, which is to mark the conclusion of pilgrimage activites in the Holy Land of Mecca. What luck I have to get my hand on these ‘lemangs’ as I had missed it last year during Hari Raya Adilfitri. Thus, excited like a school kid eyeing a candy, I scrammed on the break and swerved to the left and came to a halting stop by the side of a stall. (Yes, we Malaysians drive like that). Just as I got down from the car, I was greeted by the enthusiastic seller, whose stall I happened to stop right beside. Since it was, as we Chinese like to call it ‘yuin’ (fate) that I got to this stall I decided to get a tube of lemang from them. They even let me sample one tiny piece. Not too bad I might say. I wanted to get their curries but alas, found my wallet insufficient of money. (I had just paid the bills!).

Once I got home, I thrust the newspaper wrapped lemang to J and asked him to guess what it is. J just tore it off out of curiosity (such impatience) and was as excited as I am for the find too. Ah, but what are we to have it with? J, as the Malay cuisine expert here, said lemang have to have with rendang. Rendang, according to Wikipedia, is actually meat curry, cooked in coconut milk and spices for several hours until the liquid dried up, leaving a thick coating of spicy condiments on the meat. Sounds good isn’t it. Not to worry as the recipe is to follow.

Well, as this is also an entry for the Weekend Herb Blogging at Kalyn, I am featuring a herb used in cooking rendang. It is daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves). These leaves, as the name implied, impart a strong scent of lime and are really refreshing.

Now let’s go and make some rendang to go with the lemang. Pssst, as I know, it goes well with rice too!

Beef Rendang


This is my first time trying out a tedious recipe but I was adamant. Yet, I was still pretty lazy and had come up with some cheating methods to fasten up the process. I got this recipe, once again from Amy Beh, but had modified the liquid amount, thus reducing cooking time tremendously.

I was shocked by the amount of coconut milk called for in the original recipe and was further aghast by the idea of adding same amount of water. Thus I reduced it by more than half and had even left out the water portion.

When I got to tesco looking for topside beef, there was none but instead I found packets of cubed beef labeled - beef for rendang. Talk about being 'Malaysianised' eh.

Chilli boh is actually just grinded chillies with salt. Thus, if you cannot get it, I would recommend adding 2-3 sliced chillies to the level of spiciness you desire. Just remember that rendang are just spicy-nice, as in not too spicy yet just a tinge of kick.

Next it was the kerisik (pounded dry-fried grated coconut) which I had no idea where to get, so I improvised and bought desiccated coconut. Then I dry fried the desiccated coconut till brown and then pounded it with my pestle and mortar. (If you don’t have one, maybe you can try pounding with your roller pin or something like that. Think creative!)

Ingredients:
500g beef topside, cubed

Grind together:
4 tbsp chilli boh
7 shallots
5 cloves garlic
4cm piece ginger
2 onions
4 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
3cm piece galangal
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp fennel powder

400ml thick coconut milk (1 can)

1/2 cup kerisik (pounded dry-fried grated coconut)
1 tbsp finely-shredded daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves)

Seasoning:
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp brown sugar or to taste

Method:
Coat bottom of a deep saucepan with a little bit of oil and heat it up.
Add in beef and stir fry briefly till all sides are slightly browned.
Sitr in the ground ingredients and stir to mix.
Then add in the coconut milk.
Simmer over low-medium heat for one hour until beef turns tender and the gravy is quite thick.
Add kerisik and continue to cook until the gravy turns thick and dry.
Add seasonings and daun limau purut.
Stir and cook for further five minutes or until beef gravy is sticky dry

Serves 3 - 4

19 comments:

FooDcrazEE said...

as i have mentioned earlier in Robyn's blog, the one in Karak is not genuine. IT was boiled and then as gimmick place over ember for effect on the bamboo rather than the smoky flavour u associate with lemang.

Where in TTDI ?

rokh said...

foodcrazee, i read your comment too. mine is at the main road running from sprint highway tol down to the junction towards one utama, if you know what i mean.

Tazz said...

Rachel, go and get Brahim's Rendang Kuah. Sedap!!

Kalyn Denny said...

This was fascinating. I had read the post on Eating Asia about lemang and that was my first time reading about it. And I love kaffir lime leaves too. They are hard to get in Utah but I have a step sister who lives in California and she sends them to me from her tree.

rokh said...

tazz, when i'm feeling lazy i will!

kalyn, that is so sweet of your sister.

Unknown said...

Great rendang!

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for dropping by my blog. :P

rokh said...

angie, thanks!

anthony, i'm heading there now!

smashpop, thanks for dropping by too!

YouGuysKnow said...

Your blog is amazing. I am learning so much about Malaysian food. Lemang sounds absoultely delicious, and that Teochew fish stew... i wish i had some right now. Especially as I am a "pescatarian" or "vegequarian" or basically a vegetarian who eats seafood on occasion. Teochew cuisine is very interesting to me. thank you for such a great blog, and i hope to visit Malaysia again some day (was there in 1991) to eat! keep it up

rokh said...

ep, glad you drop by and like my site. do come back for more takes on Malaysia then.

Babe_KL said...

u r GREAT woman! hahaha i tend to run away from complicated recipes :p

rokh said...

babe, thanks! only if i am interested i would work hard for something :)

Stephanie said...

Oh, is that what they are called? Lemangs? I love those! And what are those chicken cooked in the bamboo? Those are to die for too. It's quite embarrassing to be lurking every Ramadan at around 6pm looking for those! LOL. I wish we could get that all the time!

Funny, I just bought some daun limau pulut today too.

mae said...

I too love kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass. I'd been using them lately for my dishes. The beef rendang i think is a must to try!

Stephanie said...

Please don't kill me. I've tagged you for the 7 Meme, hoping that you do not hate memes and have not already been tagged. If you can't fulfill it, no worries but here is the link just in case - http://thefeastcrusade.blogspot.com/2006/01/7-memes-for-7-bloggers.html.

The Heartland SPG said...

if u want, u can try my home recipe - shallots, garlic, boiled dried chilli, lemongrass, galangal, ginger, tumeric. that's all. blitz and tumis. tumeric leaves or kefir leaves. can use milk if u can't find non-fat santan. oh, other than beef, chicken wings in rendang is also shiok!!!

rokh said...

mm, so try it out!

mae do try the rendang, it is yummylicious.

shazalina, thanks for your recipe! i will try it out. chicken wings sounds interesting

Anonymous said...

rokh, i think i just figured out what i'm going to prepare for easter weekend! thanks so much!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I've been looking for a beef rendang recipe, but I have been enjoying reading your blog.

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *