We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Me, Me and Me
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Me, Me and Me

Tagging Meme had become a phenomenal nowadays in the blogosphere. I do enjoy Meme-ing and passing on the baton, but how far the tagged person enjoy it I do not know, but I just hope we all join in the fun (if that is not how you feel, you should). My first Meme, was on my Top Ten Favourite Food, tagged by Kalyn. Now, I have two Meme on my list, and they are crying to be pass on day and night! I no longer could keep this here, else it will die here, where the I am the cause. So here goes:

Mumu from A Curious Mix had tagged me with “The Things I Carry”, which actually ask what one would bring when cooking in someone else’s place. Then the witty Mumu, came up with her own version of the other way around which is “What would you hijack from someone’s else kitchen”. How cool is that. I feeling pretty adventurous would be answering to both of this.

I have yet to cook at other person’s place which would be far less equipped than me, shamefully yes, who can ever be less equipped than my poor kitchen of an university student who have yet the income to invest in tools she is dying to have and have yet to have the time to fully utilize them even if she does. But I do know a kitchen that is less equipped than mine, which was my aunt’s, just 5 minutes drive from my place, who do not cook at all. As I remember, as she has, a HUGE refrigerator (where is the justice????), microwave and two gas stoves with some basic pots and pans. I always wanted to go over, cook a feast and feed her and my two skinny cousins to the brim! So if I ever go over to cook, these are things I am most likely to carry along, as I would not do without:

Wok
Granite Pestle and Mortar
Chinese meat cleaver and chopping board plus my trusty mini knife
Blender and grinder
Rice cooker
Olive Oil
Rack of spices

As for hijacking things from someone’s kitchen, I would definitely be choosing my Nanny’s kitchen. Hers is well equipped with years and years of feeding three children and her dear husband. I would also add in my Ah Ma’s kitchen, which she had used to feed me since I was barely walking properly.

Complete supply of Chinese herbs, spices and all the necessary ingredients to cook authentic Chinese cuisine from my Nanny’s.

My Ah Ma’s ‘3-stone fire’ clay stove that uses charcoal as fuel. Ah Ma double boils her soups on this to the perfection!

For thisI would like to tag Barbara from Tigers and Strawberries, because I like to know what she have and treasure in the kitchen. I am always in awe of her overwhelming experience and cookery skills!
Next is 7 Meme for 7 bloggers, which I was tagged by MM from Mana Makan – The Feast Crusade.

7 things to do before I die
Travel to places I have never seen
Eat food that I have never eaten
Record our own album for my band – Addicted to Bliithe
Fly my own jet plane
Have my own business empire
Build a loving and happy family
Learn to speak, read and write Mandarin

7 things I cannot do
I cannot sing for the life of me
I am ‘buta 3D’ – basically mean I cannot direct my character in a 3D game to walk in a straight line, as in no sense of 3D direction.
I cannot grow to the height I want!
I cannot cry in front of people – well at least I tried
I cannot seem to find ‘7 things that I cannot do’

7 things that attracted me to blogging
My tham jiak-ness
My love of writing
My need to be heard
The joy of sharing what I know
A place for me to rant and rave
To promote one self - you never know who is reading out there!
Most of all – the family sense in the blogosphere

7 things I say most often
I love you!
If etc etc etc … how?
Have you eaten yet?
What the hell!
Serious?
Funny!
Oh no!

7 books I love
Anne Rice’s Lestat
Tolkien’s Lord of The Rings
CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia
Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code
R.A. Salvatore‘s The Forgotten Realms
Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird
William Golding’s Lord of the Flies

7 movies I watch over and over again
None in particular, I love movies, but not fanatic enough to have one that I would watch over and over again

7 tags
Now for my 7 victims, please do not kill me!
Anne from Anne's Food
Nic from Bakingsheet
Indira from Mahanandi
Glutton Rabbit from Pearl of The Orient
VK from My Dhaba
Meena from Hooked on Heat

11 comments:

Anne said...

Haha - that's fine, I'll try to get around to it soon :)

rokh said...

anne, thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Rokh, thanks for tagging me.
If you don't mind, I'm going to pass this meme. Frankly I don't think anybody would be interested to know or read my '7' things.
Sorry and I hope that's ok with you.

Thank you!

Swamy VKN said...

Thanks for the tag Rokh. This is the 4th tag we received in this week. I will definitely try to do my best efforts to honestly portray and keep up the enthusiasm that you are sharing along with this meme. Cheers my friend.

rokh said...

indira, it's alright. no problem at all.

vkn, thanks for joining in the fun!

Stephanie said...

Well done, even though you could not name 7 things you couldn't do! LOL. I love C S Lewis too. And you have a band? How cool is that!

Lena said...

Wow, that could definitely be a copy of my list of 7 books I love.

rokh said...

mm, thanks!

lena, oh really! we must be of same (good) taste ;)

mae said...

Hi Rokh,

I'm in the middle of reading The Da Vinci Code too (i'm sure i'll get to finish it if only i stop blogging for a bit).

It's great to get to know you a lot better.

Btw, i've tagged you - ooops! just one more meme - please? This time it's for common cold remedy. Please share.

Anonymous said...

Rokh, It was fun reading your Meme...Liked your sense of humour!

rokh said...

hi lera, glad you enjoy my meme!

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *