We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Yakitate!! Japan
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yakitate!! Japan

I confess; the real reason I had been missing in action since my sister’s wedding is watching an anime on baking bread, Yakitate!! Japan (Freshly Baked, Japanese Bread):

- picture source from Wikipedia

I know I would be considered a tad too late in the anime world to be raving about this series now, where in fact it had been a wave two years ago! There are even bloggers who already made the only recipe given bread in the anime – Rice Cooker Bread, and some inspired by it to make other creative pan (bread). The excerpt of the baking can be found in youtube, now it makes me really want to try it out, but first I got to get the automatic rice cooker, sigh, the things we do for passions.


The reasons I love this movie is how much it relates to me in some ways about cooking/baking. World of culinary is truly amazing, as how many times the anime had try to prove. In the end, the final message is that when something is made out of love and in the mind for that someone, it would definitely taste really delicious. So that is why grandma’s cooking are always the best, it was after all made with love for the whole family.

Besides that, they also emphasizes on being creative in your culinary adventures. Though there are times we should stick to traditions such as Chinese dishes, but when it comes to the world of baking, nothing is impossible. As they say, there is a fine line between a genius and a fool, and bounded by common sense we would not be possible to make new kind of pastries or bread. Thinking back how sometimes I would ask J how can you mix that with that(!) (whenever he try ‘weird’ things in front of me like bread with jam and sausage) and then munched away happily. But if you think just a bit further, meat and jam do go together, like the Swedish meatballs and raspberry sauce, oh so good! So in the end it is about crossing boundaries and willing to create and improve to come up with your own ultimate creation. Oh I am so inspired now!

I can’t wait to really make my own food again, cooking for the J, my family and friends of course. It would so much fun to continue my vow to bake a cake for each and every 1984. This feels like I am about to make a mid-year resolution.

Nevertheless, stay tuned and I will be back with more cooking, baking and of course food review!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

An anime about baking? Wow, Fatboybakes and Lyrical Lemongrass should hear about this... they love baking! And I love reading about other people baking! Lol.

FooDcrazEE said...

i dont know abt anime baking . . . .sounds fun . . .hehehehe

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, an anime about baking! Interesting...

Cheers,

Rosa

Simon Seow said...

I love Shota no Sushi. Teach a lot about sushi.

rokh said...

kenny, if you enjoy read people baking, you should enjoy this anime too ;)

foodcrazee, yea try checking it out!

rosa, yea interesting!

simon, got anime on sushi too? must check it out!!

Unknown said...

tell me abt it :) my inspiration to cook was also from a manga comic called "delicious" hahaha, there's really a child in me who never grows up :p

rokh said...

rita, a manga called delicious! wow i must check it out! psst...there is a child in me too ;)

Sammy said...

I know what you mean by weird food mixing; because I'm one of them! My parents and girlfriend think I'm gross when I mix and match stuff that normal people wouldn't

rokh said...

sammy, you can be good friend with J then, he-he

Anonymous said...

hihi~ im charxine^^; i got watched the Yakitate!! Japan... haha... i love this anime >< and sure i'll try to make this japan#2 haha... nice to know u(rokh) here...

rokh said...

charxine, glad to meet a fellow fan here! maybe one day you will see a post of japan#2 here ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for ur reply >< sure sure!! i will wait for 'that day'... hehe... XD

Anonymous said...

If you go to Walgreens, they have small 3 cup rice cookers for 9.99. I don't think they're automatic, though. I really want to try this bread, too, but I don't have all that much money, and I don't make rice all that often, so it would seem silly to me to buy a big fancy rice cooker, especially if I try this and never want to make it again. If I do like it, then maybe I'll buy a bigger one.

rokh said...

hi krissy, i understand. I haven't invest in this kind of rice cooker either even though i really want to try out this Japan #2 :)

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *