We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Curing An Insomnia
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Curing An Insomnia

I went to bed at 5 am today, yes indeed; it’s sort of a normal time for this student-having-long-holidays to sleep. The problem, I mixed up my sleeping time so much, I had trouble falling asleep. Imagine that!

I rolled here and there and my mind kept running around with all sorts of food. Such gluttony you must say, but it is actually due to the fact that I’m hungry since my late dinner just now.

By 10 am, after turning here and there on the bed, read some books, then back to bed and continued turning here and there, then played a little ps2, and back to bed for you-know-what and then finally I gave up and came online.

I met J online much to my delight. He pitied me and came over to accompany me. Then he got hooked on the ps2 and it just struck me to do the most therapeutic thing to calm myself – baking!

I ran through my list of to-bake/cook, yes I have a long one which I kept on accumulating but had yet to try out. My eyes locked onto something that was loved by everyone of all time – chocolate chip cookie.

Before this, I had a taste of the most wonderful chocolate chip cookie ever which was baked by my Nanny’s daughter for her beloved son. It was so addictive, my Godsister and I could not keep our hands off it. It was that sinfully delicious. Then I had begged her for the recipe and she kindly emailed me once she got back to Jakarta. I baked it and found it was nowhere near hers but still not too bad a cookie. At that time, I haven’t mastered my 20 year old oven yet, and burnt quite a number of cookies.

After about 2 years of experimenting with my oven, a lot more recently due to my interest in food flaring up, I had finally understood that small little old oven of mine.

The first batch of cookies came out and after a slight cooling; I took over to J with a mug of brewed milk powder. He took an enormous bite and then gave a resounding YUM!

Chocolate Chip ‘Orange’ Cookie

I actually altered the original recipe a lot. First, I had reduced the amount of butter because I found that 115grams of butter is too hard to measure (lazy me), and thought it would have been healthier anyway. To make it even more good, I split the flour and added in whole wheat flour and increased the amount of brown sugar ratio. Besides, they recipe called for 1 large US egg, and all I have is the Malaysian medium sized ones so I added another half.

During the time I added the flour in, the dough got too dry, much to my worry, and I decided to add some kind of liquid. I just ran out of fresh milk and it struck me, orange juice! I cut half an orange and juice it in. The smell definitely mixes well with the dough and I just had to lick my fingers. You know a cookie would be coming out good if you love the dough itself. LOL.


Anyhow, after tasting my end product, I decided it’s too sweet, it must be the sweetness from the orange juice that I had neglected, so if you’re trying this recipe out, do reduce the sugar. Milk might have been a better option since I could not really taste the orange in the cookie anyway. But J does not agree with me bout the sweetness and he is chomping the third cookie now as I blog. Maybe I have a sweet tooth so it’s up to you readers to adjust to your taste. Remember to scoop it further apart, as for me, due to my mini oven, I had to place them quite near and they ended up sticking to each other but I managed to break them up easily. It does produce a much rugged and homemade looking kind of cookies though.

Do contain the urge to over-bake; as the cookie does feel kind of soft even after browning, but after cooling it will be crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Just my kind of favourite cookie!

1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
100 grams unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
1½ egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of half an orange (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat to 150 C.
Cream the sugar and butter together until smooth. Then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt and then mix them into the batter.
Squeeze in the half orange and stir to incorporate.
Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Scoop 1 overflowing tablespoon of the cookie dough onto the baking tray, each about 2 inches apart ideally.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Devour warm with a mug of milk.

Makes approximately 20 large (and I mean HUGE) cookies.

4 comments:

Pink Elle said...

They look good! I'm hoping to start on my chocolate chip cookie baking soon too! Sad to say, that's the only one I know how to bake! :p

rokh said...

yea funky cookies, choc chips are always good in some ways. i'm sure you can come up with more cookies. challenge yourself!

boo_licious said...

Yum! Nice flavours and the orange bit reminds me of the Terry's Choc Orange.

I spied some coffee chips in the bake shop, must go and make chocolate coffee chip cookies one day as that shld taste awesome.

rokh said...

boo, chocolate coffee sounds great! i might want try out the ratio more in this recipe to make the orange more distinct. maybe some zest.

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *