We have moved to thamjiak.com! Please use the search box there to find your current post ->

Tham Jiak: Me, Myself and My Food
Tham Jiak means in some way "love to eat" in Hokkien. I am a Malaysian Hokkien and truly love to eat.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Me, Myself and My Food

I had been tagged last year (that sound like ages ago) by Jake from Lovely Malaysian Food by a meme called “7 random facts about myself”. Then I was re-tagged by Mochachocolata-Rita on "5 facts about me". I was thinking would anyone be interested in 5 facts about me what more 7? Maybe yes, maybe no, but oh well, as the rule of the game, tagged I am therefore I write:

1. Besides playing with kitchen appliances, I play guitar and drums. Yea, I was a cool teen; I used to have an all girl band name Addicted to Bliithe where I was the drummer. If you have been a long time reader, yes you can guessed it, it were consisted of my 1984s friends. We played in gigs, joined some competitions and even just 'jam' for fun. Does this make me similar to Jamie Oliver, the drummer who cooks?

2. Despite the fact that I am a Chinese, and my grandparents are from China, I do not even know how to read or write Chinese. Luckily I do know my dialects, such as Hokkien and Cantonese. So currently I am on a self learning journey in quest to learn Mandarin.

3. I have a bachelor degree in Business Information System, currently doing something with a mixture of business, finance and IT. I am happy with what I am doing, pretty challenging (the way I like it) yet it still feels like something is missing. This is because my ultimate dream is to have a business of my own, and of course it would be a food business. Food writing comes a close second.

4. I grew up in a lovely town call Taiping, up north in Perak, Malaysia. It is a place where people grew up and grow old. Somewhere in between are people like my mum and dad. Most of them are children and senior citizens. There is a really beautiful Lake Garden there, which was previously a tin ore mine, now made into a wonder garden of lushes trees and sparkling lakes.

5. Recently I had just bought an apartment with J in the heart of PJ, waiting eagerly to get the keys and start unloading all my kitchen gadgets into it and hopefully then, churn out more goodies for me, J, family and friends to enjoy and for you to drool on from this blog.

6. I secretly harbour the desire to knead and bake my own bread, but I have yet to get on with it. Once I bought a bottle of instant yeast and it was left in my shelves for ages and never got into bread making. I was never really a bread person, as in I do not take bread just because (with the exception of my morning breakfast of eggs and toast bread), and I am really picky about what makes a good bread, occasionally only manage to find it in posh restaurants or good bakeries. No, the usual roti canai, Malaysian’s favourite does not make it as one of those bread I desired to make. I want to bake rustic looking bread that would make good sandwiches, not those white bread sandwiching some sad looking lettuce and tuna.

7. I started a mini project in this blog called Exploring My Origin, where I am still very much interested to carry on. I want to learn and understand all there is to know about Chinese food origins, how it is to be made and what makes it so good that it lasted for generations. I am always so worried that these traditions would be lost in our era. If time and place permits it, I will definitely seek it out, practice and make it till it is right and then share all of it here.

There, five non-food-related facts about me and 2 tham jiak facts about me, to kill two birds with one stone. 7 is more than enough I'm sure, and I do hope you enjoy it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yay!!!! rokh...it is soooo good that you still speak hokkien & cantonese T_T

I am the so-called Indonesian Chinese, born and raised in Indonesia, heavily Javanese accented Indonesian is my first language, and i am so sad that i don't speak any Chinese dialect T_T

now i speak a little bit of (again) heavily javanese accented cantonese, just enough to tell the meat vendor that i want "$20 beef for stir frying or 1 gan (chinese measurement word) lettuce" and "i hate papaya" hoho

(gosh i revealed more and more dirts- i am uncontrollable)

Anonymous said...

Hello... when u finally make those rustic breads, don't forget to invite me over, ya? I love them rustic breads. And other rustic foods. Well, food in general lah.

Hehehe...

Thistlemoon said...

I know how you feel! I wish I had learned Italian when I was younger...too bad, but like you, I am trying to learn! Especially because I am getting married in 5 weeks to an Italian, whose mom is coming for the wedding and doesn't speak English!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

teckiee said...

eh biz info system ah... what are you working as now... i need to get out of the tech line... so sick of it

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great to learn more about you! Interesting! I'd love to be able to play guitar or drums...

Cheers,

Rosa

rokh said...

rita, it's ok, we are all learning our languages and showing dirts meant showing we are human ;)

kenny, if i ever get to make rustic bread ya? :D

jenn, congratulations in your wedding and good luck in communication with you mum-in-law-to-be

jeena, will drop by your forum

teckie, let's get out of tech line together!

rosa, you can always learn now :D

Post a Comment

* Malaysia * Good Food * Recipes * Travel *Reviews * Asia *